Improve by doing this...

Rabies vacine comment

I'm 60 years old, from the U.S., married to an educated Thai woman, and have traveled for about 4 years in 19 3rd world countries in Asia, and Central/South America. Your statement today that rabies vaccine is very expensive in the U.S. is completely true (my sister is a veterinarian, and she said that her cost for the vaccine is much more than the $1000 amount for the 5 shot series if you were bitten by a possible rabies carrier). Note that my wife was bitten in Bangkok by a stray dog, and had to get the 5 shot series. The vaccine they used was called Rabipure, and was exactly the same vaccine used in the U.S. (I saved the Rabipure tag). The cost per shot was $18 (yes: $18! for the same vaccine) vs about $500 in the U.S. Noting that we have also received other vaccines in South America and Thailand, our costs for the vaccines were outrageously miniscule compared to what I personally paid in the U.S. years ago. Not even in the same universe. The ONLY potential problem is that there are fake medicines that do show up, therefore I would recommend that folks get whatever meds they need at hospitals or overseas travel clinics. Those rabies vaccines I saw in Thailand were packaged EXACTLY like in the U.S. (plastic bag containing Rabipure vaccine/diluent/instruction booklet). As the cost was so cheap, I got the 3 shot pre-exposure vaccine series for myself (just in case). I also saw the same huge cost discrepancy in other vaccines/pills. U.S. prices are simply ridiculous.
Just mentioning it for whatever it's worth.
Mark Gall

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Chris Heidrich responded  · 

Mark, thank you for that comment!
    It’s nice to here first hand experiences.
    I forwarded your comment to our editor.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service