What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 2 - How have you adjusted your expectations?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam    SeperAdam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CharlotteCharlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't actually travelled previously to being a mum..apart from one solo holiday. But my expectations are that there will be times when its tough...kids will always be kids and will always know the buttons to push! But I'm pretty sure the benefits will be more than worth it...the experiences me and my daughter (6yo) will have...I can't wait and neither can she, planning on southeast Asia, starting this summer, travelling slowly, for as long as we want/can!

• susan keenansusan keenan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have gone on longer holidays with the boys to Spain and are going to Greece for six weeks this summer.Longer term we want to try and visit five or six countries for 2-3 months each. Rather than traveling with kids we hope to settle in a place for a while and experience what it will be like to enjoy the culture etc. of the area while working and home schooling.
        This may change as our ideas become more real and plans are finalized.
        We are all very excited about the prospect of being a bit more adventurous with our choice of destinations.

As for what we expect, who knows. We just want to be flexible while enjoying the time we spend with the boys

• RKSRKS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've adjusted our original approach to be somewhere between a "traveler/temporary local" and "tourist". The original daydream was more straight tourist, but the reality of cost and maintaining that type of vacation pace for long term doesn't seem like as good an idea after talking to other experienced travelers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know what u expect to be honest. I've never traveled out of the United states. & neither have my kids. I don't even know where we'll be going yet. I realize we can't go everywhere & see everything & seeing as my kids have medical & physical concerns that will need to be taken into consideration. While at first I was thinking a round the world trip now I'm thinking of spending a year traveling north & South American. THEN traveling to Africa & Asia on another trip. I may change my mind again. I really have no idea what I'm doing & what to expect. My kids are very excited & on board to make this happen.

• TamiTami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alli - I had the exact concern before we left. We aren't single parents, but we have an only child. We left on our trip just over two months ago with our 9 year old son. It's amazing how he's adjusted. We haven't met any English speaking kids yet on our trip. He's met and played with local kids once at the Science Centre in Granada. He does really miss his friends and would like to meet other kids. That said, he is really enjoying himself and has adjusted to playing on his own or with us. He has regular skype call with friends back home. He plays a lot of Minecraft.
        I'm hoping once we get to Asia, we'll have more opportunity to meet other travellers with kids. Maybe someone on this forum is aware of any online groups for travelling parents/meet up opportunities. Any thoughts out there?

• Allison AdamsAllison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My main concern in this topic at the moment is that my 10-year-old son will find friends his age along the way. It's just the two of us traveling for one year. If there are any other single parents with one child out there, I'd love to hear what your experiences or thoughts are. I am expecting and looking forward to traveling slowly and staying in several places for a month or so at a time. And as other travelers have said, taking it one day at a time, being willing to change plans midstream and not expecting all our idiosyncrasies will magically disappear because we are in a different place!

• LaursLaurs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I am still struggling to imagine how it will all actually work! When I think back to my trip in my 20's I think of all the lengthy journeys and long gaps between decent feeds, and lugging backpacks on and off public transport. I wonder how we'll manage and my expectations are that we will solve some of the issues with a bigger budget! :( But some 'cushioning' is likely to be required with the three children in tow.
        I am still loathed to cut back on the numb of countries we are visiting despite all the warnings about the need to go slow, and I wonder if I am in denial. But I think I would rather see less of each country once we are there and go slow in that way, than stay put in only two or three places over 6 months. I want the children to experience the contrasts - that's important to me but not so important to my partner - so I think once we go the children will dictate by how they react.

• Adam    SeperAdam Seper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Monica, if you are traveling alone, you probably want to sign up for the regular version of RTW30. You can do that here: http://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/30days

As for help with a RTW ticket, feel free to email me at adam at bootsnall dot com, and I can help you out.

• Karen Karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going to Sete france in July August with a Group of 16 any sugesstions do's and Don'ts would be helpful!

• Kristen  SullivanKristen Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've cut our itinerary in half, ruled out certain areas that we originally wanted to go, and decided to have a "home base" for at least a month and just cover what we can in be vicinity instead of racing around. I'm going to try to appreciate the little things as opposed to racing around seeing all the "musts". I'm already thinking of how to handle the emergencies (illness, broken bones, etc) not because I think it will happen but just so if/when it does it won't seem like such a big emergency.

• YinYin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We - that is my husband, our soon-2-yr-old daughter and myself - are leaving in Dec this year for 9 months. My husband and I had some talks on how the travelling will be different from when there was no toddler. It will be much much slower paced, and we just won't be able to do multiple things in the day - it will be one thing a day taking into account her nap time, lunch, morning tea break, afternoon tea break, and the time required to get ready to go out to do anything at all. But that's what will allow us to slow down and hopefully experience some local life in where we go.

• Laly73UKLaly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My plan is to travel with both my daughters who will be 13 and 17 by the time we live. I am not sure what my 17 years old mind will be then. She would have just finished her A Level and might not want a gap year anymore. She might want then to stay behind and go straight to university or else as she would be turning 18 a few months after. This is one of the thing I am preparing myself to adjust.

After reading all the valuable information on this website, i now decided to travel very slow and stay from 1 to 3 months in one place.

I want us all as a family to learn at least one language (spanish) while away; so we will settle for 3 to 6 months to a spanish speaking country ( already have some knowledge).

Schooling is a concern for me but I am looking through online/distance learning.

• TamiTami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our son will be 9 when we leave next year. He's very social so I worry that he'll be lonely since he's an only child. He's great with adults, but I know he'll want to be around English speaking kids sometimes. On previous trips, he's connected with local kids and even with the language barrier (or maybe because of it) had fun. We plan to travel slowly and perhaps settle in a place for a month or two, hopefully somewhere we can find other families.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE're going to recognize that we will need to make sure everyone has their sleep needs met, so they are happy. We will need to give each other "space", or private time. We will have one day off a week to blog, write post cards, rest, and rejuvinate. We're also going to go to a time share resort once a month where possible. It will give us a restful place to do our laundry and just take a breather.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base