What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 2 - How have you adjusted your expectations?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're about a year out from hitting the road, but I can only imagine how things will change. My mantra will probably be to expect the unexpected. That seems to be a theme in my life even at 'home' now. LOL My kids are also big on schedules and that will have to change. Weather, internet connection (for husband's work), etc will adjust what we originally had planned. I foresee a lot of winging it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our children are 2,4,6,8; 4 boys! We thought we would have sooo much free time. But there are still things that need to be done (3 meals, work stuff, cleaning) that we notice time is still a battle. I dreamed I would read more, I have not. I thought some of our family issues (temper, disobedience, etc.) will settle, but it has not. I am a schedule person and life on the road can still provide a schedule but it is not like it was. I am learning to enjoy that. I think parenting is HARD no matter where you are. But, if I can choose to parent while we are climbing a mountain, biking, swimming, and camping instead of at the same money draining house every day, then I choose to travel. I sound negative. We have been living fulltime in an RV for 10 months and although it has been a challenge at times, I would not choose to go back to our former life.

• Heather Hastie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My kids will be 8 and 11 when we go, so I'm hoping that makes things easier than when they were smaller and needed to juggle naps, diapers etc. But I also know that I've been surprised by so many things on this parenting journey that the best thing to expect is the unexpected. (Like why is it that my first child eats everything and my second is so picky? She's definitely going to live on rice in China and India..!) I think my greatest fear is needing to seek medical attention in a country where I have no clue how to communicate and I'm not sure about the standards.

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My kids are currently 10, 12, 15 & 16. We've found adjusting expectations to be an ongoing process. Just when we think we've "got it" with our kids (raising them and traveling with them) the game changes in some capacity and we have to reconfigure. Recognizing that most of the stress and strife in our travel experience was created because of our own expectations and our own inability, as adults, to "let it go" and "be what it is" was a helpful realization to come to.

My husband's early expectations included this fantasy that once we were on the road full time our family life would magically be perfect because he wouldn't have to work, so he'd magically be more patient and the kids, of course would magically appreciate his continual presence and it would be so much easier to deal with all of the things that we found hard at home. HA! ;)

We're continually learning to take each day as it comes, not build up a particular destination or experience in our minds into something so completely unrealistic that we've set ourselves up for disappointment, and to allow the kids to have their own trips. They get to be where they are and how they are each day, just like we do... and sometimes that's hard grace to extend to one another.

Traveling continues to teach me so much about myself and my family... adjusting expectations is happening every single day!

• Adam Seper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we are new parents to a 5-month-old, we have little experience in this field. We just took our first weekend trip away with him in May, and the one biggest difference we noticed is how much more time we need to get anywhere and do anything. Gone are the days (at least for a few years) of just hopping in the car (or cab or train or bus) and heading to dinner, or for drinks, or anything, really. It just takes more time and planning to go anywhere (which is also true at home). So simple and obvious, but something that we didn't truly realize until we had a little one with us.

I'd be curious to know the age(s) of everyone's children who are participating? Anyone taking off on a RTW with a baby or child under 4 or 5?

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base