What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 1 - Who have you told? How did you break the news? What was the reaction?

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a single mother from Brazil. Things are not very easy around here because my Baby is only 2 months. I hope to make a first 3 weeks trial in November when she will be 9 months and organize to leave in February 2018, after she turn 1 y.o.
        Am I completely crazy? My parents are getting depressed with the idea if staying away from their granddaughter... but I feel I don't belong to Brasil. And I vê been a traveler for almost 10 years now... so the idea of living abroad is crazy but its a part of me that really need to try... any support? Anyone have any sugestions?

• Dominique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've shared with a few friends and my family. No comments but they seem to approve of it although they feel left behind. 'My only fear is: how do I and my husband and I find time for ourselves to regroup when we will be with our children 11, 8 and 6 all the time? No school to send them to and being in a foreign country, I won't be too comfortable checking them in in any activity just to find time for myself. Is anyone experiencing anxiety around this subject?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Living in a very changing and on the edge South Africa. our kids are 8 and 10 and we're thinking of selling up, getting financially liquid and hitting the road in 2018. All our friends that we have told are very supportive and think the timing is great - politically here and also the kids ages. Havant told my folks ( who are in the UK) but I know they'll be worried. You only live once eh? Excited and nervous.

• Team Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've only just decided in the past 2 weeks after meeting other RTW families staying in our BnB and following the adventures of another New Zealand family on their blog. I've been homeschooling my 3 children (aged 7, 9 and 11) for almost a year now and my husband's job is due to end in July. So there will never be a better time than this. We've told most of our friends and family and have only encountered positive comments. The kids are all super excited, but I haven't slept much because my mind is racing with a million ideas and questions. Can't wait!

• Pedro Duarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For now we told to some friends from Coach Surfing.... of course take in account that they are people used to travel all are very supportive.
        To talk about that with more people we need to have a more complete plan to put the doubts way :)

• Paige commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've shared my travel plans with my mother for several years now and of course my son. And friends. Everyone seems surprised except for my mother who seems worried about me taking her grandson far away. lol. I wanted to have my son out traveling at 8 but he already 10. So I need some motivation to get over my fears and just do it! I was a big traveler before I had him, but now I am nervous about all the logistics of travelling with kids, i.e schooling, etc.

• Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've shared our plans to travel with family and friends. I often add that anyone is welcome to join us along the way if it calls to them. I've not had any resistance or negative reactions from anyone so far. Our goal is to be on our flights by November 1, 2017 so I have 10 months of preparation ahead of me. As the reality of the trip becomes concrete, I'm guessing I'll see reactions of concern, fear, excitement, encouragement and some envy as well! All the same emotions I am feeling about planning long term travel with my two children! Glad for this forum!

• Susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've told family and friends, but not work. Very supportive, even (or especially!) our girls' teachers, who love the idea. We're thinking of doing it in 18 months, the 18-19 school year, when our girls would be in 7th and 4th grade. Next people we'll reach out to are people who may have connections for us.

• cassie carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have told friends that we are "thinking" about traveling around the world. Most people's first reaction is "You're taking the girls out for a whole year?" How will you educate them? Aren't you worried about them being academically and social behind?" I do feel nervous about these things but also confident we'll figure it out. We are planning on leaving in June 2018 returning August 2019. Our daughters will be going into 10th and 8th grades. Haven't told my mom yet, afraid of her reaction....

• Jess - Kaliam.lu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi we told our parents first, the reaction was great from my mothers-in-law, she said that was a great idea, my mother was quit the opposite, she told me i was crazy and how could i do this to my kids (8 years and 2 years), but the idea has grown, seeing that we didn't change our mind since november... now she asks more practical questions lol... the trip starts in 13 month...
        we told close friends, they are very excited for us... i'm beginning to tell my clients...

• Forsse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just told my sister who is currently enjoying her RTW trip! After my career is established and income is steady, I'm traveling the world with my now 3&1/2 year old son.

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've only just started thinking about this as a possibility. I did tell a mom-friend recently and after telling her I said, "I don't know...maybe it won't happen." Her response was great -- she said, "don't say that! You can make it happen!"

That was just the kind of response I needed.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty much everyone at work we've had the plan for a couple of years. We had to resign back in December and with no new job being sought, it seemed a no brainer to tell everyone what we were planning. Booked our fist outbound air ticket to Montreal yesterday.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base