What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 1 - Who have you told? How did you break the news? What was the reaction?

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Melanie Dailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like many others, I have told family and friends but I don't think anyone is actually taking me seriously! It is a big bold idea. We are planning a trip with our two boys, 12 and 9 years old. Timing is up in the air, but hoping to leave in about 9 months.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have told a lot of people, but I'm not sure any of them believe it will really happen! I had the idea to take a one year RTW trip with our two kids when they are ages 9 & 11 about 18 months ago, and we are still 6-1/2 years away from the trip!! It's a big idea we are planning and saving for.

• Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have told close friends and family..they are all very pleased for us. My only worries are work schools etc. Can't wait to get planning.

• Byrne Family commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello All Family Travellers!!! Most of our family have been aware that we have been planning a trip for a while... I think they are still skeptical it is going to happen, haha!! We are beginning the count down now!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Told my parents - they were a little surprised to hear we had decided against saving a deposit for a house! :) onwards and upwards !!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have only told a few close friends as we're still around 18 months away from when we think we will be leaving. Kids have a vague idea about the trip but only a few ideas about where they'd like to go. This will be our 2nd rtw and the kids first

• David Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, apart from my wife (obviously) I've finally told my parents. I think they're as supportive as they can be, considering the risks involved in aspects of travel, house, education, etc. etc. etc. We are not going to tell my in-laws yet as they will not be impressed, will stress about it, and we don't actually know much about our journey yet (when, where, how long, etc.)

• Naomie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love to travel, so my husband and I have been chatting about it for ages. Planning on going next year (fingers crossed) with our 2year old daughter. Only done holidays and we are from Australia heading to the USA. Told family and mixed reactions a lot don't understand but it's like 'why not, you only live once and we arnt ready to settle down' very daunting though

• Dries Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

End of contract and my wife took a one year leave from her job. Taking the two kids - 4 and 5 years old - and told pretty much everyone. The grandparents are pretty upset. Any thoughts on making it more bearable for them? Also, we don't have a lot of time to plan. Want to leave September and only made the final decision a couple of days ago. Very exiting times.

• susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looking to leave in summer 2017. We have a high school daughter who is a gymnist and wants to finish high school. Our two boys are 8 and 9 that will also be traveling with us. We are just starting to plan for at least a year if not longer. Trying to figure where we want to start. All the kids are so excited and i am a little worried about schooling the boys.We have been talking about doing this for years so most of our friends think we are nuts.

• Taneisha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only shared the idea with my fiance and he's not surprised. He'll be supportive whether he joins us or not. I want to take my boys (ages 5 and 15) to give them an alternative education to the traditional classroom. I won't tell any family until the details are clearer for me. I expect to be faced with skepticism when I tell my close family members and excitement when I tell my friends.

• Charlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Decided to pack up and travel with my 6 yo daughter, told a few friends and everyone seems mostly supportive. I am terrified in the best possible way!!!

• susan keenan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My husband and I are hoping t take a year at least to travel with our two boys aged 9 and7. We hope to spend 2-3 ,months in 5 or 6 places with a view to possibly staying for longer in one if we really like it.
    We both work online so can work anywhere as long as there is an internet connection. So far we have told the boys and some close friends. They have all been very supportive if a little surprised. If they ask us" Why?" we reply "why not".
    We are at the very early stages but getting very excited.

• Catherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slowly, we are letting all of our friends and family know our plans. We plan to travel RTW with our kids: ages 9, 7, 4 leaving Dec 2015 and traveling until Dec 2016. Leaving from LA, hitting Central/South America, Morrocco, Eastern/Western Europe, and SouthEast Asia. Most people thing it's a great idea and get super inspired! We are right now in the process of planning and downsizing, selling all of our belongings etc. It feels like a lot but it also feels like the right thing to do!

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My husband and I are going to take off, hopefully, in June 2015. We've told a lot of our friends in town and a few family members (those most receptive to non-traditional ways of living) and pretty much all have been very supportive in their reactions. The people we haven't told yet (i.e. family members who aren't as comfortable with things outside the status quo) will be told when we have a bit more of a plan in order.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't told anyone. I just made this decision a few weeks ago(thinking I'd have to wait till the kids were grown to travel pleased to see I was wrong!). I haven't told anyone yet as I don't expect to have positive reactions. I have two kids with pretty heavy medical needs & while I think it's doable & absolutely important to do I think they'll think I'm making a big mistake & won't be able to do it.

• Mme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We took our twins on a year abroad when they were 2.5. They're 11 now, and we're ready to go again. It's taken me 2 years of mulling, and overcoming the fear, but I think I've passed over some magical threshold and now I can't see how we can't go. It seems a perfect time, and I look forward to the adventure. My family and most friends know that we've been thinking about it for the last two years, so it should come of no surprise to anyone when I tell them...it's on!

• Allison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came up with the idea in June of this year to take my son on a trip around the world for one year, decided on it in August and plan to leave July 2015. I was quiet about it at first, but now I've told lots of people, especially now that my son's classmates' parents are all asking what middle school he will be going to next year! So far I haven't heard any negative comments or reactions, except to the plan to include Iran in the trip (with someone who is from there and goes back every year).

Feedback and Knowledge Base