What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 1 - Who have you told? How did you break the news? What was the reaction?

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Emily Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been living abroad in Germany for 3 years and will be returning to the US in the late spring. We are taking the opportunity to transition back by doing a trip around the world to visit friends and see unique places January-April 2015. Most people are excited to hear our plans and wish they could be so "out of the box."

• Sussi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have June2016 to leave with my now 4 year old son to give myself plenty of time to plan. But I find myself doing research almost every night and wondering if I want to leave sooner. I've had nothing but supportive feedback from the friends I've told. Thought I'd let my son start kindergarten to get established in school that he come back to and then leave for 1 st grade but if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate the input.

• Laurs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking to leave early Feb. for six months with our 8yr, 9yr and 17 month old. Reactions are variable - as we are taking a leap of faith and giving up jobs to do it. Looking for a shake up! Lots to organise and feeling a bit like we are flying by the seat of our pants. Some negative comments about the fact that my baby won't appreciate being dragged around the world and upsetting the children's education - but mostly it's just excitement and longing to join in!

• VK Travellers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been telling people over the last several months even though we aren't leaving until June 2015. I did tell one new person today that didn't know. His reaction was very positive. Like most people we tell, they are very excited for us and sometimes a little jealous.

• Annie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, we are in a bit of a different shoe... We left our lives in Canada in January (2014) and moved down to Panama. We have been living here and enjoying life abroad. But we are also starting to think about (and plan) our return home... When we left, we had NO IDEA how long we'd be gone - we told people 1 year, but wanted to leave it open for us to see how we were liking it. We have decided to head home for early July 2015 and are planning to vacate our rental in Panama in early May and spend a couple of months travelling up Central America, to Mexico... I have told this to a couple of people, but really, have still kept in under wraps and likely will for a few more months (until we are POSITIVELY sure that we are going!).

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I'm planning a 14 month journey starting June 2015 with my two daughters (8,10). I took 6 months off and travelled over 10 years ago and can't wait to get back on the road with the family. Very grateful and appreciative of the resources here and the supportive community!

• Julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have set my departure date for May of 2015. I want this time to put together a solid plan. I am already making lists of what I will and will not take (or need)
    Just had new tires put on my van (which is going to be my transportation) so that gets checked off my list...yay!
    I have also been listing and selling items on Craigslist and the money I get goes into an account created just for this road trip.
    The only thing I have not done...Gulp...is tell anyone...including my eight grown children :(

• Tami S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think so, though a lot can change in a year. Part of the original impetus for this trip was to disrupt his education. I know that sounds crazy, but Gr 1 and 2 he was starting to dislike school and say things like "I hate learning". Grade 3 was a complete turnaround, he had an amazing teacher and he figured out that learning can happen in so many ways and can be really fun. So we'll see. In an ideal world we'd continue to homeschool, but that would require some (not insignififcant) lifestyle adjustments - seems scary now, but might not be so intimidating when we return.

• upendo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Tami. Are you planning to put your son back into the school he was at when you return?

Hi upendo, Here is the SelfDesign website: http://selfdesign.org/ I think it's a good program, I have a friend whose children are enrolled and her partner is one of the teachers. She speaks very highly of it. I was at Maker Faire in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and I was pretty impressed with the Self Design High kids and their projects. I think it might make the transition upon our return somewhat easier. or at the very least the ability to show the school in concrete ways what he learned over the past year.

• upendo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tami S would like more info about self design learning. We are in BC too.

• Marcos OLIVEIRA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just starting planning what am imaging to be a 4 or 5 month trip across Asia , oceania and middle east mostly with my wife and my 7 YO boy. Just a bit concerned on make tnis trip enjoyable and a great learning opportunity for him too! Suggestions about that would be mostly appreciated!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$ as a concern is the general reaction from immediate family, others random passerby's general dreamy optimism

We have a departure date of Sept 1st too. It sounds like you are well on your way. Like you, we have the job leave and house rental settled. We are also leaving from YVR. We've purchased (one-way!) tickets from Toronto to Lisbon on Sept 6, but otherwise everything else is still up in the air. We are travelling with our 9-year old and are considering Self Design for schooling (it's for BC residents). I'm a little worried about internet connectivity (required for self design) in places like India or Nepal. Panicking more about wrapping up work before I go... one thing at a time, right?

• Janette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely feeling behind as our target date is September 1 and we've not planned a route, visas or flights. Have the rental of our home set up, have school figured out for our 12 y/o who will be homeschooled by his Dad and me while on the road, budget in place, and job leave sorted. Looking into some volunteer projects in Cambodia (elephants and village support) as well as a seeds/farm project in Spain but feeling at a bit of a loss as to determine the best route given I prefer to travel with the warmth vs. chilly winter weather. The list includes France, Spain, Morocco, Italy, Greece, potentially Israel, parts of India, trekking in Nepal, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand. Son would like to add in parts of Australia and the Milford Trek in New Zealand. Phew! Seems a tad ambitious as we'd prefer going slow and absorbing the experience. Leaving from YVR. Waking up panicked. Have told quite a few people and are determined to do this!

• Christine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everyone! Thank you for having this website. I had the bursting feeling inside of me for years to travel. Before I had my baby I traveled to Europe and taught myself the language in Germany. After I had my kid I suddenly thought it was impossible to travel again. I am a single mother now and I am in the infancy stage of planning a rtw trip with my daughter. I havent figured out yet the financial funding part yet. As I am an only parent and will be doing this alone I am still fighting with myself on how I can begin. I mentioned the travel to a couple of friends and got supportive reviews. However I am glad to fine a community here for support. My daughter is 19months old and I teach her everything I know at home. On the road I want to raise her with world experiences. I think this will be good for her development. Any advice from families out there will be appriciated. Thanks!

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today, I told my best friend about our family's plan (myself, my wife, and our 16 month old) to check out and travel beginning in January after our trip to India (already basically planned). I felt liberated and energized! I mean, there it is now out and about. i did ask him to keep it under wraps as we've not yet talked to either of our families about this and our plans are in their infancy. He was supportive, as I suspected, even though it's totally not his bag. What a great feeling. I just know it will work. And hope it leads to places even more fascinating.

@CUL8RYVR - I just noticed your handle- we are also leaving from YVR in July (me, husband and 9 year old son). It would be fun to connect beforehand - my email is stormisun at gmail if you are interested.

You haven't left it too late - we are leaving July 2014 as well and I just told my employer last week. It went surprisingly well, with both of us brainstorming how we can make it work. At this point almost everyone knows, aside from fully announcing it at work - which I'll do next week. eep!

• CUL8RYVR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We (me, husband, 7-yr-old son) have told friends and family. They mainly worry about personal safety and job security. The school principal and the boss are still in the dark. I admit the other posts are making me nervous; I don't think I could ever plan something this ambitious so far out! It would consume me. Have I left it too late? I am happy to have found BootsnAll. We are leaving July 2014 for one year. I'll be diligently following the 30-day plan :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base