What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 1 - Who have you told? How did you break the news? What was the reaction?

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kristen Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We (the kids 9,9,7) have told everyone! I figured the more people we told the less likely we would back out!!! (Not that I really thought we would but it's easy to have life make excuses for you). People are supportive yet of course have many questions and there is some skepticism- especially about education or parenting my 3 all alone, 24/7 for a year!

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're not in debt, our kids (7,5,3,1) are home schooled already, my husband is working on his Master's with a 6 mos international internship (that we have to pick) starting in summer 2014. We think that will be the beginning of our RTW trip/ lifestyle. We have been blessed with some inheritance to get us started but have no idea how we'll finance as we go...though we're willing to learn! We've told friends and some family but since we don't have any details planned it's all pretty "loose talk"

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're still in the planning stage and have been bouncing the idea of long-term travel with our kids for quite some time. Still not clear on education for our kids while traveling and on the financial realities of doing so. So we haven't really told anyone yet. Want to learn a bit first before we do.

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I am planning a RTW in 2 years time when my eldest daughter finishes her A Level. My kids will be 13 & 17 almost 18.
    It will be only my daughters and myself on that trip, I am a little bit worried to travel alone with them.
    We travelled a lot around the world already on vacations but always with my husband then.

I have been talking about leaving for a RTW with friends and my kids but my friends seem a bit dubious and don't comment on it, they probably think I am crazy and won't do it :).
    My kids in the other hand know that I am serious about it as I starting "our" minimalist way of living by selling most of all we own on eBay.
    I would love for other families preparing the RTW to get in touch so we car share ideas.
    I am in the early stages of planning, mainly finding ways to save to fund the trip.
    Very happy to have found this forum

Laly

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
    My family and I are heading on a one-year RTW adventure next year. Everyone has known for a long time but not that reality is setting in, people are a bit surprised that we actually meant what we said! Right now, my biggest hurdle is to clear up enough room on my line of credit so that we can go! My husband just got a new job but told them in the interview of our travel plans and I have been on a salary deferment plan for four years so all is good with our jobs.
    Our girls will be 12 and 9 when we leave. We have talked about this trip for their whole lives but as it because more real for them, they are starting to have some hesitation about leaving friends and dance for a year.
    I think this forum is awesome as I don't have any contact with other travelling families
    Thanks
    Denise

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We haven't told many people yet. Mainly because I feel like it's still quite far away (Oct 14). Many know that we want to downsize and get rid of most of our junk so that we are free to travel, but they don't realize that we want to go nomadic full time.
    Also, I'm a bit hesitant about family planning. We have one three year old daughter, but when and where (and if) we're having a second and maybe even third one is still undecided.

• Adam Seper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Carrie. Thanks so much for joining us on RTW30! Road schooling is something we will be covering in depth during the program, but here are a few articles to get you started:

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/12-06/long-term-travel-as-education.html
    http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/13-03/travel-with-your-kids.html
    http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/12-08/educational-travel-how-to-take-your-kids-out-of-school.html

• Carrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I am considering this journey because it would be a great learning experience for my son who is 9 & I. However, I was just curious about how those with children are going to continue their schooling/taking them out of school, etc. This seems to be one of my biggest obstacles and was wondering what others do. Thanks!

• Team Dirty Face commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are preparing to leave on a 6-month round the work adventure in March 2014. We have 5-yr old twin girls who have traveled more than most adults in the first 5 years of their life. This will be the longest trip that we have done as a family. Previously, our longest was a month trip through Austria & Italy by train when they were 2. It was an amazing experience that confirmed for us that travel with small children was quite manageable if everyone just learned that doing things would take just a bit longer! We have told tons of people about our upcoming adventure and no one is surprised really. Overall people seem quite interested in our plan, where we will go, where we will stay, etc. We even have some family who want to come and meet us in various destinations. Our kids are already very excited about the trip....instead of playing house or dress-up they play airport and staying in a hotel! Can't wait to hear about everyone else's plans!

• Tami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone here attending the planning sessions next week? I'm so happy to see other families on the road at the same time we are! We can compare routes and hopefully connect along the way.

• Honor Mandiwall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello
    We are a family of 5 planning to travel from next April/May (2014). Family all know (and are very supportive) and tell their friends, but I have been slower to tell all of our friends ... For lots of reasons. We're getting there tho, and I'm gradually telling more people. Reactions are mostly hugely enthusiastic, with only the odd person who wonders why we could possibly think of pulling the kids out of school (they are 3, 7 & 9) ... But Why wouldn't we???!! I can't wait to educate our children in the real world! The only other reaction was the one asking in horror how much such a trip would cost ... That kind of comment really embarrasses me. I also hope to meet with other travellers on our way ...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are leaving for a one year trip in July of 2014. Since this is part of a 4 over 5, we've told a number of people. Family is supportive, but cautious as our kids will be 11 and 13 and they will be sorely missed! Friends are mixed - some supportive, while others tell us we're crazy but wish they could do it. I'm a teacher so kids will receive a true global education! Looking forward to hearing about all the different trips - this is going to be life changing!

We are hoping to start by traveling around the US fulltime. It will take us at least a year to reach where we want to be budgetwise. The kids would be about 13, 10, and 7. We have told a good chunk of family and a few close friends already. Most have been supportive (and even a bit jealous), but some are worried.

• Lorraine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there
    We are leaving for our RTW trip in September 2015, by which time we plan to have renovated our home in France, sold our business and replaced earned income with passive income. A tall order but I think we are on track. Our children will be 15 and 13 by then.
    A few friends know but we haven't told close family yet. I'm concerned if I tell too many peole it might not happen. Probably illogical, at any rate i'm determined to make it happen. I've waited so long . .
    I'd love to connect with other families with similar projects

We are going sometime after June 2014. We've told some of our friends and family, but not my employer (yet) - hence the pseudonym. Our child will be 9 years old - hoping to connect with other RTW families along the way so he'll have some playmates his age.
    The reaction has been ridiculously positive. Lots of "I wish I could do that!" from our friends.

We are currently traveling fulltime in an RV in the United States. We dream of traveling to Central and South America in about 3 years. We tell most friends, but we have not told family (as they will not understand and there is no reason to cause panic until it is time).

• AdminChris Heidrich (Personal Travel Consultant, BootsnAll Travel Network) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

G'Day Heather,

Friend of BootsnAll (FOB) has a site for Volunteering (non-paid) that does a good job of filtering:
    http://grassrootsvolunteering.org/

We had her as a guest on RTW Chat a few weeks ago and we talked about how to find the "non-racket" type of volunteer opportunities. (40 minute video of the interview on that link)

http://www.bootsnall.com/blog/volunteering-on-your-rtw-trip-rtwchat-on-twitter.html

ROCK AND ROLL to all of you for going! I am logged in Chris account, but this is Sean. (Sorry Chris!)

• Ian McMurray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are leaving for 6 months in February 2015. Everyone, family and friends, know we're leaving. They are all supportive and think that it's a great opportunity and experience for our 2 kids (and their parents...). Our kids will be 9 and 7 when we will leave. As we are both teachers, the homeschooling part is not a stress.

• Heather Hastie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh and a question I have for people - we want to spend some time volunteering in different places, but global volunteering seems to be a money racket when you look at what they charge. Let me know if you've found some genuine opportunities.

• Heather Hastie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone! We will be leaving in Sept. 2015 and gone for a year. Our kids will be 8 and 11 when we leave. We're lucky that we have an employer that is allowing us to do a self-funded leave of absence (helping us to do salary deferral right now - I'm not disciplined enough to do it on my own!). Because our plan seems rather "sane" (job to come back to etc.) we haven't had much grief from relatives. I'm excited to know when and where others are going!

Feedback and Knowledge Base