What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 3 - What is your families' why?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have made two 2 week treks around the USA and various one week vacations and mission trips out of the country so a RTW trip for 6 or 12 mos would be crazy for us. I'm the only one who wants to go for it and the whys are: my two teenagers (14 & 13) will be in college in 4-5 years so I want to see some of the world with them/know we would all learn a lot . We homeschool so we can do that anywhere. Plus, I might get a 6 mo severance in the next year so that would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. We have 2 beloved cats so that would be hard for the kids to leave them behind. The kids have friends and cousins but all grandparents are gone now so nothing holding us here. We are praying for a clear open door/guidance to make the jump.

• David Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest challenge at the moment, at such an early stage of planning, is working out the best thing for our two boys (aged 5 and 6) - will school help, will we lose their place, will their friendships suffer, will they come back and be ostracised, etc?? That and working out if we've the money for it ;-)

• Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to expand our horizons, learn different perspectives and experience things first hand. After being home with my daughters for the past couple of years, I need to see something beyond the walls of our house! My husband also wants to expand his thinking as it's easy to get caught up in 'group think'. My daughters love the idea of 'home' schooling and are looking forward to seeing their favorite animals in the animals' home territory.

• Charlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to teach my daughter and myself that material things are not important, as well as being able to spend quality time with each other having amazing experiences.

• susan keenan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to experience adventures with our kids and to create memories. We are in a very good position as we earn a very good living by working online which means we can work anywhere in the world if it has internet! We just think that as our boys are young, 9 and 8 we might only have another ten years if we are lucky that they want to go on holidays with us. We are a very close family and love doing things together, the boys are very excited about the prospect of home schooling and traveling . My eldest sons ambition is to see all the countries in the world, my husband and I would love to share the start of that dream with him.

• Jen Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My husband won a Lilly Foundation sabbatical grant and as part of his sabbatical we want to show our children the home of our different religious faiths. I am Roman Catholic and he is Presbyterian. We will spend part of our summer visiting Italy and Scotland. Our hope is to see the differences AND the similarities. Something we have tried to do throughout our married life and educating of our kids.

• Shari Wiemer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to see the world with my 10 year old daughter, just the two of us. I want to strengthen our mother/daughter bond before the challenging teenage years begin. I've seen wonderful parts of the world before she was born (with and without her grown brother) and want to collect more experiences with her. I know it will be something she will treasure for a lifetime, and it will add to her education...and mine!

• giordano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw that many of us answered to WHY simply saying they can. Well the very first reason Is that we are lucky to do it today. Tomorrow or in a near future I really do not know if we will be strong (physically and economically) enough to do it.
        An other WHY is a little more 'spiritual "we have a lot of things around us and our children and we feel that, somewhere, this is not right so we really want to to try leave with less stuff and more meeting peoples, discovering different way of leaving . A third WHY at least for me is that travels are the only form of true knowledge I believe in.

• Mme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently live in a really expensive city, and I find that I spend a lot of time working in order to survive, and not really thrive here with my kids. They're at a great age for travel, and I want to spend as much time with them as I can before they get older and move on into their own lives. When I was 2 my parents took me on their adventure around the US to 37 states (in a VW bug) so I suppose that's where my budget family travel really got started. I got into my own sense of traveling when I was 17 and it changed my perspective completely.

• Allison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm taking myself and my 10-year-old son around the world for a year. No problem answering the why--I have many reasons. One obvious reason is because I can. But the more specific ones are: After my husband died, I needed to reinvent my life and find a new focus; I traveled a lot when I was younger and want to see more; I want my son to see how people around the world live and expand his view of what makes for a good, satisfying life; I realized I can finance much of the trip by renting out my house while we are away; I like the idea of my son and I getting a chance to experience extraordinary things together and so learn how to understand, appreciate and love each other even more. Those are good enough reasons for me!

• VK Travellers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since I was a child I have always had a passion for travel, exploring new countries, and meeting new people. My husband and I traveled a lot before we were married and before we had kids. We don't believe that needs to stop just because we now have three boys. We want expose our boys to other cultures and share all of these great experiences together as a family.

After all, life it not about what you accumulate throughout your life but what you experience.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're wanting to travel and experience a different life than what we've been taught. We're trying to get back in touch with a more passionate rich life and travel is the way to do that. My wife and I want to spend all the time we can with our young son and show him the world.

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is my last chance to experience something meaningful with my eldest daughter before she goes to university. She is 15 and a half, I feel like time flies too quickly and if I don't slow down now and take the time to be with my children, it will be too late.

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much like everyone else, we want our children to experience the pleasures and education of international travel but, selfishly, I want to travel now and not wait until they are adults! The travel bug bit my husband and I 25 years ago and it just doesn't go away

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we never know what the future hold for us (health, job, etc.), we want to spend as much time with our kids as possible. What better way could there be then traveling the world :-)

• Honor Mandiwall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want more time as a family, especially before our eldest daughter enters secondary school & her teens. Increasingly I feel that the education our girls will get on the road will be so much better than any of the prescriptive curriculum they get at school ... And they will get more attention from us in helping them to learn about what they are interested in. I can't wait!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE were living a life with too much business travel and not enough quality family time. We want to be with our kids to share the world and all it beauty. We're very close now....but want to make those bonds even deeper.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base