What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 4 - What are you doing with your house/apartment/condo?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we can take a payment holiday on the mortgage we will, but it is likely we'll be paying the mortgage while we're away - and I'm betting the mortgage lender will have clauses in the contract that restricts us from letting as well. We might see if we can get a house sitter, but we've not been long in the area so don't know anyone well enough to ask them to act on our behalf. A toughie this, but we'll crack it

• Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are renting our house and want to return to it at the end of our 6 month trip. We spoke to our landlady and she has agreed to let us sublet it :-)
        We hope to sublet it furnished, but if not, we'll put our things in the garage. We don't like owning too much stuff to begin with, so I'm constantly paring down.

• Charlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I've given in the notice on our home (rented) and we're going to move in with the parents to save some money! Starting to feel more real now! One month to get our stuff sold or in storage.

• Mme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We both own and rent. We've got a long term renter in our home and currently rent in a city far from there. We actually rented our house the first time we traveled, and realize we should have sold, because that was right before the crash, and our house went down 50% in value. Hindsight... as they say. We knew we didn't want to return, but the house offered some sort of security, but now it's just this albatross.

If/When we come back this time, we should be able to rent though probably not where we currently are. Our lease doesn't allow for sub-letting, so we basically are giving up a nice, inexpensive, rent-controlled house, which is REALLY difficult, but in the end I know the experience will override this comfort.

• VK Travellers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far this is causing us the most stress. We want to return to our home when we get back. We don't have a mortgage so that part helps. Our plan is to rent out the house fully furnished. However, my concern is getting someone reliable in our house while we are gone. The other concern is tax on capital gains when we eventually sell our home. We are in Canada and there are tax implications with regards to renting out your home.

• Tami S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been looking at the Homes Wanted section on sabbaticalhomes.com. I've found three matches so far, and I've been able to contact them all using the form on the site. Our trip is still almost year away, and we actually have someone coming to tour our home in November. Time to get cleaning!

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will rent our house of a year as this can also be a source of our income once on the road.

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am hoping to rent to a friend or a friend of a friend. We have a detached garage so we could move our belongings in there if needed. I don't seem to be too worried about this aspect of the trip as I seem to often know people in transition. Will actively consider price and renter options about six months prior to leaving

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Um, renting isn't as easy as you make it sound. Quite disappointed with this day's input.
        Yeah, we can quit our apartment, but what do we do when we come back? Finding an apartment is difficult. If it's supposed to be in a good location, big enough and affordable enough then it's almost impossible.
        What we'll do? Not quite sure yet and one of our biggest concerns.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since our oldest won't be able to join us on the trip, we'll have to keep our house.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're thinking of checking out the university and getting a professor on sabbatical to rent it from us. If that doesn't work, we're looking at a property management company to take it over while we're gone and rent it fully furnished.

We hope to sell it. The market in this area (especially for the size/cost of our home) is usually pretty good. The current plan is to sell/donate most of the possessions as well. I don't want to be paying for a storage unit.

• circe schwentor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of now our only possession is our boat. Since we plan on moving aboard in the next week and using he to sail an explore.
        When we left Colorado we did have a big house,cars possesions etc. We had our hous on the market for ove r 2 years. It became worth less thanit cost us to build it. We decided to give it back to the bank. That decision made things so.much easier. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off our shoulders.

We chose to sell all our possessions (except what went with us in the RV) and put our house on the market. The toughest thing was living in the RV and paying a mortgage on an empty house that took 1 year to sell. That was tough. Waiting was tough and doubting our choice was tough. But we realized that what we wanted for our lives would not include the stress of a home. It is the greatest feeling to finally be homeless!

• Ian McMurray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are only leaving for 6 months so we'll rent our house, fully furnished. It should pay for the mortgage (and maybe a bit more...). We stayed friends with our real estate agent over the years so he will advertise it on Remax and help us out. We will advertise it about one year in advance. We are a bit worried about finding the right people because we don't want to have any problems with our upstairs tenants (we have two rented appartment above ours), our neighbors and, of course, we want them to take great care of our place. So we are looking for a family, maybe a professional who has a short term contract in our city (we live in Montreal) or a student...

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We sold our house. Part of the money went into our trip fund, so the headache of a remodel in previous years actually supported our dream long term! We are finding it much easier to maintain long term travel not having to worry about a house "at home" or keeping it rented/cared for, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base