What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 6 - How's it going? How can we help? Reach out here and let's all help each other out!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam    SeperAdam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GeoffreyGeoffrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My wife has looked into online schooling and hopefully the district our kids are in is going to start an online program through our district for people in exactly our situation. I can only hope they get it started before we leave. If not though, Standford University has a very affordable program in my opinion called EPGY. It actually tests the kids online and determines their grade level based on common core standards. It determines what grade they are in and then it teaches lessons based on what they don't know. It then from time to time retests first in the areas they are studying and then again in all areas and reestablishes where they are at per grade level. It just keeps pushing the kids as far as they can go. For both my kids to have 9 months of access in teh areas of English and Math it was under 500. As long as we are somewhere with an internet connection they can access it 24/7. It's something worth looking into. We are actually going to have some materials we physically drag along with us too. But it's a good base to look at. There are several different levels but the one were looking at is a program that goes from k-7th grade all inclusive in the two areas Ive mentioned.

• NinaNina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've travelled a lot, I have long service leave of 3 months so I'll be getting paid along the way. My main hurdle is having the confidence to pull my kids out of school for 3 months. I know it's ok but going to the school to tell them makes me really nervous. They would be 8, 5 and 3 (little one not at school). The other hurdle is my husband doesn't want to/isn't able to go, so it would be me + 3.

• AshleyAshley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our progress is slow...mostly in the "vision for the future" state. My question is, for those in the US (bonus if you're in NYC!), when is the best time to take kids away from school? I know there will be tremendous benefits to schooling on the road, but I also want to be smart about setting my 2nd grader/7 year old up well for future school placement. I've been thinking that either 3rd or 5th grade would be ideal as I think 4th grade matters more for middle school choices. How does one be smart about being "untraditional?"

• Adam    SeperAdam Seper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks so much for the kind words Becky! Feel free to reach out with any specific questions you may have about your trip. Happy travel planning!

• BeckyBecky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a blessing to have this community to connect with! I just want to thank all the folks at Indie for providing such an invaluable resource! I'm a single mom planning a RTW with my two daughters (9&13). I was excited & inspired but pretty nervous before I found Indie but now knowing I can tap into all of this knowledge & experience of the traveling community (& family focused to boot) I am feeling much more confident & even more inspired! Thank you!

• Adam    SeperAdam Seper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sabrina!

What types of accommodations are you looking at that are taking so long to get back to you? Just curious. As for airfare, it really depends on the route. I'd check all your options - AirTreks, Indie, and searching prices of internal flights and compare.

When it comes to how long to stay in a particular country, it all depends on your family. We have found that moving slower, especially with kids in tow, is easier on everyone, and the slower you move, the cheaper it is. It's not so much how long you stay in a particular country either, but how long you stay in each city/destination. Moving every few days can get tiring real quick. I always recommend planning a few stays of a couple weeks or a month in one place just to be able to unpack your bags and slow down for a bit. It gives you a chance to breathe and slow down a bit so you don't get burned out.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions!
        Adam

• SabrinaSabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making the trip kid-friendly and nature themed, has helped us choose locations. Weather and cost have also narrowed down our list. For example, we really wanted to see the Pandas in China, but it will be winter when we're in that region, so cut it out. Flights to Costa Rica were too expensive, so we'll see the rain forests in Borneo instead. These parameters have helped keep things manageable. What we miss this time, we hope to do another time :-)

My progress is going ok. My main hurdle is people not getting back to me in a timely manner. I'm sometimes waiting 2 weeks to get a response from a potential accommodation. I would also like to know if it's better (cheaper) to book internal flights once you're in the country or to add them to the Airtreks routing? Also, how long do you recommend staying in a country with 2 kids before moving to the next destination. We have 2 weeks in first 5 countries, then 3-4 each in last 4 countries/regions. Is that too much?

My progress is going ok. My main hurdle is people not getting back to me in a timely manner. I'm sometimes waiting 2 weeks to get a response from a potential accommodation. I would also like to know if it's better (cheaper) to book internal flights once you're in the country or to add them to the Airtreks routing?

• JillJill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Laly73Uk - I have heard good things about many parts of South America: Ecuador, Panama, Peru, Chile. Maybe a place to look into.

Giordano - We are feeling the same way and are thinking not to plan too much in advance (as hard as that can be, too) but stay in a place for awhile and then go from there. We have two kids and don't want to rush them, either, and also want to get the feel for a place. And we'll just see how far and where we get.

• JillJill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're talking about starting our trip in Ecuador and going down the coast of South America... or something kind of like that. Does anyone know about the public transportation down there? Or if we should try to rent/buy a car. We'll be on a pretty limited budget and we're not really mechanic-type people, but we also have two kids.

• giordanogiordano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be honest I feel frustrated is day 6 and I can't even choose where to go, where to stop and from how long. I've travel a little in the past for vacations or my job, alone or with the family, we did already two trips in Morocco two years ago and last summer in Turkey to “test” the boys ( I got 2 of 10 and 8 ) but now is different . The idea is to stay out for a year and travel slow and this is the hard part.... how many time we need to visit a country ? A city ? A region ?
        What if we didn't choose the right time between jumps ?
        What if we discover a place we rent for 2 weeks is sad and boring or at the contrary is the place where will be great to spend 2 months ?
        All these questions became more and more important when I think it will cost my family one year time.
        Speaking about cost, until now for me it is impossible to put together a budget I read of a family of 6 that left with 45.000$ for 1 year and people that spend much more in 3.
        It is an hard time … departure is more or less with in 6 months and I'm stuck...

• JoanneJoanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,I'm having a great time just getting inspired for a future trip. One of the biggest things holding me back is worry about our 10 yr old son not having his social structure - inpast short trips he hasn't enjoyed exploring/traveling around, he only wants a friend(s). I'm thinking it may be best to choose one place as a base, and do shorter travels from there (so we could put him school/develop friendships). Has anyone had the experience of traveling with one child ?

• Laly73UKLaly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, reading your emails and forum made me realize that I might want to just go and live in a different country for a few months then move to the next one but traveling very slow. So not a typical RTW. I would need help in finding an affordable and safe Hispanic country to start our trip.

• Tracy HumphreysTracy Humphreys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thank you for this! my family and I really want to do either RTW travel or possibly moving to a different country for a few years - this is helping to hone the decision making somewhat - the travel sounds great, but we do really need to be able to work while we travel - hopefully that will be a topic that comes up soon :)

• Jennifer MillerJennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow! I can't believe we are through the first week already!! Tell me where you're stuck and what I can do to help you forward!

Feedback and Knowledge Base