What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 7 - Do you know which airfare option you're going with? What made you choose that particular one?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam    SeperAdam Seper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SabrinaSabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used Airtreks for all my flights into and out of a country, since they have access to most airlines and since I don't have miles built up. I'm a planner, so preferred to have those taken care of. I'm hoping it will make my Visas easier to get if we can show arrival/departure dates. I'm still contemplating how to book internal flights, as some sites say it's cheaper to book in-country. I had a budget for airfare in mind, which we mostly met, though again, it does come at a 'time' cost. I'm not looking forward to boarding a plane at midnight with my two girls (5 & 8), though using red-eyes was a way to keep the monetary costs down. I'll know after our trip if that was a smart decision or not.

• Allison AdamsAllison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Jennifer's approach and appreciate the advice about getting to know the local discounters. One of my frustrations now is that I am eager to plan everything, but can't get tickets more than one year in advance. I think it might be a good idea to book the first few flights in advance, especially where there are date restrictions due to friends we will meet/stay with, and then book the rest of the trip as I go.

• WendyWendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't know where we'll end up so I think buy as we go is best for us.

• JeremyJeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our RTW experience will be ongoing, but I envision our initial foray will be bought together with more buy as you go experiences in later stages.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We get retire two years ago. We start our RTW retirement plans to visit different parts of Europe ,now we are trying to find some RTW air tickets for my husband and I staring in south America and then going to the route of Asia. All information related with all you can flying quote we will appreciated

• Jennifer MillerJennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a "busy as we go" family... mostly because our plans are so open ended and it's morphed far beyond a gap year. The last time I bought a return ticket was for a quick trip home for a wedding... otherwise we just buy the tickets one at a time, move forward by air and then by land for several months, then watch the ticket discounters like hawks for weeks until we find the next cheap flight. One thing we've learned is that each continent has it's own set of competing discount airlines, and once you're there and know what to look for, cheap flights are often easy to come by, especially if you can be flexible!

Feedback and Knowledge Base