What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 12 - Share your overland travel experiences and expectations with kids. Any tips and advice for the community?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Heidrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far, we are planning overnight train travel in South Africa (Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth), then renting a car to drive along the garden route, then probably flying back from Cape Town to Jo'burg due to time constraints. We are also planning the overnight train in Kenya (Nairobi to Mombasa). Our girls are 5 & 8. If anyone has done these trains trips, let me know how they were. We'll probably take the train in India, but we're not that far into the planning process. Flights from Lima to Cusco in Peru are about the same cost as taking a bus. Does anyone recommend a bus between Rio and São Paulo?

• Allison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jennifer, can you give more details on the Sulawesi and Borneo ideas? Google maps didn't show me anything specific enough for me to look into. They sound exciting! Thanks!

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My hubby and I did alot of overland travel when travelling in our 20's. However, now that we are planning a RTW with our two girls, I suspect that it will often be cheaper to rent a car than pay overland public transit options x 4. I am pretty sure my kids aren't going to love long distances on buses etc but that is just a fact

• Tami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are hints that my child may be prone to motion sickness. A theory I must test soon and then find possible solutions for the road. I'd love to do the Mekong boat trip with my kid! I did it in 2000, pre-parenthood. I've heard about wristbands and patches... I really want to avoid dramamine, which works but then he'll be dozy through the whole trip. Any tips on avoiding motion sickness would be great.

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We love traveling overland! Some of the best friendships and experiences (and nightmare travel stories) come from overland trips. My big tip: Don't be afraid!! Just dive in and go!! Pack your sense of adventure and your kids will have a blast!!

Overland trips everyone should make once:
    A chicken bus in Guatemala
    The night bus between Hanoi and Hue, Vietnam
    The local bus between Pakse and points south in Laos
    A boat trip on the Mekong (not the tourist boat, people!)
    The train trip between Bangkok and points north or south
    A self drive into the center of Sulawesi (not for the faint of heart!)
    Tip to tip of Borneo along the northern side: challenge: how many different modes of transport can you use?
    All over New Zealand in a camper van

ooooh... this is making me want to travel more!!! :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base