What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 15 - What's your road schooling philosophy?

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Heidrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Byrne Family commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I don't have a philosophy as of yet, but I am thinking I may purchase a homeschool package with some books and then focus on the country I am in, language, food, government, news etc.. worry mostly about reading, writing and math.

• Allison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the comments below, and wonder if any of you will return to this site now that you may be finished with your trip and report on the results of your educational plan. My thoughts for my 11-year-old's education on the one-year trip are similar to those below, and I'd like to know how realistic they are!

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already homeschool at home in Canada (Gr 2 and K) so the transition won't be too difficult. We use some books/ curriculum at home but there is soooo much available online if you want any sort of traditional school stuff- you really need to have very little. Otherwise...I look forward to the world education! I spent 2 weeks in London with my 7yr old this summer and the incredible (and free) museums and art galleries inspired me so much. Can it be true that my 7yr olds favorite thing in the British Museum was the Ancient Walls of Ninevah? A normal kid telling me that "I love history, it's so interesting".... I wasn't thinking that when I was in Gr 2. You could live in London for 3 months and get an incredible overview of all of Western Civilization just by visiting the Museum once/ week. Soooo much better than a book! Totally inspiring!

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we are only missing one academic year, I think we will be doing online schooling with us as a support. However, I do think the travel will be an education in itself so I really only want to cover the basic academic neccessities while we are gone and, hopefully, do most of the requirements while on planes! Khan academy is a worthwhile site for those who want an online math program

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will enroll my daughters to online learning so they can continue working on the same level as their friends while abroad. I am not too worried about educating my kids while on the road; now days with Internet, no need to carry huge books as there is so much available online.

• Tami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not that concerned about formal education. My son will miss all of grade four. As long as he keeps reading and doing some basic math (calculating exchange rates, haggling in markets) I figure everything he learns on the road will add up to much more than he would get in a classroom. He's going to find it really hard to leave his school friends.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We joined a swedish holiday school in Thailand. Swedish and Norwegian are simular languages. Norway also have a global internet school. Since our daugther is bilangual we also enjoyed Kahn institute online in math And a lot of apps!

Feedback and Knowledge Base