What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 19 - Have you broken the news to family and friends yet? What are typical responses? How do you deal with the naysayers?

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Heidrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My parents had just come back from their own trip, so were a bit shell shocked and skeptical at first, but are trying to be supportive. Most others are excited and plan to follow our blog once we get going. The first question is usually about my husband's job.

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been dreaming of this trip (with specific intentions) for so long that everyone knows about it! Most people are a bit envious and have a good share of disbelief that this trip we have been talking of for so long is actually not just a dream but is and always has been, a reality in the making. So far, everyone is supportive!

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so exited to be planning the trip that I told everyone; but I was disappointed with their reactions, it was more criticisms; disbelief; consternation, etc... no one really took it with open arms or open mind. But my kids did as they can see me selling everything on eBay already or giving away stuff. I guess they all will come around when I will organise the goodbye "party".

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We found that breaking the news sooner rather than later gave family (especially non-traveling grandparents) the time to warm to the idea. We had very few true nay-sayers in our friends and family set (at least to our faces!) but there were loads of questions, mostly centering around how well we'd thought this through, the health and safety of the children, their educations and our financial position. I think it's really important to be open to the questions, and even the criticism, and remain willing to dialogue with the people who matter in your life. Their concerns are almost always grounded in love!

Feedback and Knowledge Base