What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 20 - What are you doing with all your stuff while you're gone? How much downsizing are you doing?

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Heidrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're leasing our cars. One lease we will not renew and the other one, we'll look into sub-leasing. We'll also use Craigslist, have a garage sale and donate to Goodwill. Hope to rent out place furnished and store our clothes in garage.

• Sabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're leasing our cars. One lease we will not renew and the other one, we'll look into sub-leasing. We'll also use Craigslist, have a garage sale and donate to Goodwill. Hope to rent out place furnished and store our clothes in garage.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I generally love to purge and sell our stuff on used sites etc....but yes photos??? ugh seriously (not even just the ones printed- what about the thousands on the computer that aren't yet dealt with)....maybe it is time to sell the wedding dress? Part of my enthusiasm about a big trip is getting rid of stuff, but I'm not sure what will make it harder/ easier to re-enter if I over-
    enthusiastically send it all to the Sally Ann. Would love to hear from others!

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Continual purging and then we will box everything up.We have a garage we can store our stuff in while we are gone

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Photos are the things I have trouble to part with, we have tons of them. All would fit in one big box (we will rent our house and our garage got an attic we will be able to store things). I am happy to get rid of most things, I can't imagine how much stuff we got since I started clearing up, so much crap. Every-time I drop a bag at a charity shop or give something away; I feel better. I am also selling stuff on eBay for extra cash. I will start garage sale in 2 weeks time, sorting out everything right now; It is a long progress. I am at the same time seriously considering a minimalist lifestyle even when I come back.

• Tami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really needed to downsize anyway, 3 years in a house can result in a lot of clutter. We held a garage sale this weekend, made a little money. We're giving stuff away, selling it on craigslist and ebay and hope to rent out our house furnished. I don't want to spend the extra money on storage while we are gone, we have a little storage at our house and hopefully it's enough for the remaining stuff. A little concerned about our son's ever-growing lego collection. He's very attached.

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We got rid of most of our stuff... but there are always things you want to keep, photo albums, wedding gifts that are precious, stuff the kids just can't bear to part with. We have an 8x20 ft storage unit in NH that we rent by the year. It was a better option for us than storing our stuff with family. It doesn't impose on any one and it will all be right there when we get back!

Feedback and Knowledge Base