What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 23 - What gadgets are you bringing with you?

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Heidrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Allison Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone have an idea if an iPad Air or Air2 with a keyboard would be sufficient for my son to do his online schoolwork while we are traveling for a year? Or should we get a laptop?
    Thanks!

• Denise Silzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a family with school aged children, we know we are bringing kobos, a small laptop, ipod and unlock phone. My biggest hangup is whether to bring my good dslr with my long lenses or go small. No easy answer on that one

• Laly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us gadgets are a must for home schooling/work and entertainment all together.

Me: Laptop, Tablet, unlock BlackBerry, old camcorder (for photos and videos ) & external hard drive
    Daughter 1 & 2: Notebook x2, kindle x2, DSi x2 (DSi will serve as camera as well), unlocked phone x2, 4 SD cards

• Tami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My biggest concern with all these expensive gadgets is how to keep them safe. Our list includes an 11" MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, micro 3/4 digital camera, waterproof camera, small external hard drive. We might only bring one of the phones. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the gadgets safe in hostels, dorm rooms etc? Hotel safe/lockers? What if there isn't one? Pacsafe bag protector? or??

• Kellie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks so much for the feedback! It's definitely helpful. I forgot to mention that I'll also take an external hard drive for backing up, and possibly an external dvd drive so the girls can do math lessons on dvd if we don't have good wifi. I still can't decide what to do about a phone. My husband and I both have the iPhone 4 which doesn't support SIM cards. I could upgrade to the iPhone 5 which (I think) can support SIM cards, but I don't know if I want to deal with making sure the Verizon service is off and not getting stuck with some sort of crazy phone bill. If we felt like we really needed to take a smart phone, would it be better to try and find a used, unlocked, iPhone 4S?

• Jennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kellie... I think that sounds very reasonable for a family of four! I would suggest taking the best camera that you can manage, the photos are the memories that you'll have forever!!

Because we work and school as we go, over the long haul, we have:

Dad: 2 laptops (one client specific, one that is our own) & iPad
    Mom: laptop & iPad
    Kids: 3 laptops & 1 iPad & 4 iPods

GPS
    Cannon "good" camera
    2 waterproof point and shoots (teenagers)
    iphone
    2 crap phones picked up in SEA
    3 big external hard drives

I'm probably forgetting stuff

It is important to note that there is a big difference between a trip you're taking as a gap year when you're not planning to work/school officially... and making the switch to "life" on the road... when we're traveling for "vacation" we take almost nothing, tech wise... but with six people, two careers and four kids schooling and working online too... hehe. It gets ugly!

• Paige Conner Totaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might sound like overkill, but for our 11-month trip, we brought a laptop or net book for each of the four of us, plus my kids each brought an iPod touch and a kindle. I brought an unlocked iPhone 4S, which serves as my only camera, and I could not be happier with my decision. I have been able to buy SIM cards in many of the countries we have visited, and I bought a international SIM card from Telestial to use in case of emergencies (but only in emergencies, because my phone eats up data really fast. My husband brought his HTC phone to use as a camera and a reader, but it is not unlocked, so that's all it's good for.

We opted not to get a fancy camera for this once-in-lifetime trip, and we haven't regretted it once. Well, maybe once when we saw some penguins from afar and wanted to photograph them.

I recommend getting some kind of backup charger for iPhones. We didn't but it would have come in handy.

• Kellie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a family of four, including two middle-schoolers. We are leaving in October for a 5 month adventure--4 weeks in Europe, 10 weeks in SE Asia, 6 weeks in Oz/NZ. I think our plan is to bring the following:
    Macbook Air--for school work, blogging, downloading video from Flip, etc. (the only "real" computer)
    Mom's iPad--for blogging, Skyping, email, etc.
    2 iPad minis--one for each middle-schooler. Can be used to watch online math lessons, writing papers/blog entries, e-readers, email, Skyping, etc.
    1 small point and shoot camera
    1 Flip video camera
    1 GPS unit (for our 6 weeks in Oz and NZ with rental car)

How does this sound?

Feedback and Knowledge Base