What's the biggest challenge in planning your trip so far?

Day 25 - Where will your family stay? What types of accommodations will your family use?

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris HeidrichAdminChris Heidrich (Personal Travel Consultant, BootsnAll Travel Network) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SabrinaSabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the middle of booking our accommodations and so far have used Expedia, AirBNB & WOOFing. I looked into couch surfing, house sitting and other free options, but most are geared toward a single traveler. The thing that's driving me crazy right now is the 'extra guest fee' rampant in Australia. Even when I'm booking a 'family room', there is an extra per person charge after the first two guests. I'm even finding this on AirBNB! Another thing to look out for is whether the house has laundry included...especially if we're supposed to back light. Other than that, we're going to be staying in some pretty interesting places and it is something I'm really looking forward to.

• Laly73UKLaly73UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"home style." definitely, when vacationing we always stay in hotels. We never couchsurf although I just created an account just in case and I am ready to host just to have a feel of it.
        As we are going to travel very slow, I will be renting flats, I started looking into airbnb. I would like to try a hostel at least once just to experience it maybe when we will travel in South East Asia as I heard it is very cheap to rent a family room there.

• Paige Conner TotaroPaige Conner Totaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have done some CouchSurfing as a family and it has been great! We wanted to stay with other families, and not with 20-something singles, which required a little more research. There is a "Family Welcome Group" on CouchSurfing and you can filter searches so that only members of that group come up in results. We have also sometimes used CouchSurfing to meet other families for meals or walks around a city, which is a great way to get to know a place. Usually you'll find that CouchSurfing hosts are very proud of their city and want to tell you all about it. We found it to be a great experience, and saved us some money, too. When we're not CouchSurfing, we stay in rental apartments found through airbnb or housetrip, with an occasional hostel or small hotel.

• Jennifer MillerJennifer Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just discovering house sitting and are loving it!! Between that and fully furnished rentals, the majority of our travel accommodation is "home style." When we're on the move fast, we prefer hostels and small local hotels.

Feedback and Knowledge Base